07 March 2009

Your glory walks hand-in-hand with your doom!

I was playing with the little one the other day and in our game there were two characters which stood above the rest. One was based on the character of Hector, the other of Wolverine. In this game I decided that the character based on Wolverine would be able to heal as Wolverine could. However, what struck me as interesting was that, as our game progressed, it became clear to me that the Wolverine character could not match the valor of the Hector character. I found this to be very thought provoking as I would not normally compare spirits of such might. Yet as I pondered this phenomena I realized that it was due to the fact that Wolverine could not die. When the two both committed deeds worthy of a legend, Hector's was the greater because in it, he died. He gave his life for what he believed. And while Hector failed in what he was attempting and Wolverine succeeded, Hectors deed was so much more beautiful, so much more inspiring. Death, as Tolkien so truly stated, is one of the greatest gifts to man. Oh, how wonderful it can be! How is it that death makes everything more meaningful? Or perhaps it doesn't. Perhaps it only shows us what something is truly worth. It is only in the prospect of death or in the act of dying that true valor, true courage, true life can be reached. There are things within this world which I want to die for! Yet I know that before I can die for them I must live for them.

No comments: