24 February 2010

In This World, Not of It

So many times a person drops a comment--"how could they have a child, it is so irresponsible" "Someone that sick is better off dead," "Tim Tebow's Superbowl ad is a sign that the world is reverting into barbarism and darkness"--little things passing in a conversation and I cringe and protest inwardly but keep quiet.  I feel like I cannot fight every comment, fight every minute.  But where is the line between between being a witness and being a coward?

The idea of drawing a line in the sand has its attraction; of setting oneself apart, being scorned and persecuted for one's faith, the romantic vision of the solitary martyr.  But the root of this is pride and fruit of it is not witness.

I keep reminding myself of the St. Francis' words, "preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words." But what constitutes necessary?  When is that line crossed when action becomes a necessity?  And is the light of my actions enough in a place like this?  Never have I been somewhere where I feel so isolated by what I believe, so completely alone.  How much does that impact to not speak, the desire to have friends, to be liked?  How many people would I alienate by speaking out?  And how can I find the community that is so important to human life?

God grant me the grace to shine your light to those around me, the courage to speak out, the wisdom to know when to do so, and faith to know I am never alone.

No comments: