19 October 2008

Taking a stand

I was at a debate the other day where some girls tried to convince me that there was no difference between the lives lost in war and those claimed by abortion. They told me that being pro-life, that believing life is sacred and needs to be treated as such, meant that I could never be in support of any war. No matter what your religion or your stance on abortion may be, this claim should appear absurd. There are things or people worth dying for, causes in this world worth laying down your life. Denying this robs human life of some of its dignity, its sacredness.

I'm not arguing either side of the current war in which the United States is involved. I am simply arguing against complete pacifism, the idea that there are no causes worth going to war over, is very dangerous. I don't understand how these girls could see themselves as so passionate and such crusaders for their ideas if they don't believe this. Your beliefs, your ideas, your dreams, your morals, your ideals, your faith, these are what constitute you. They influence every decision you make, the way you see the world, and the way you live your life. What is your life worth if not these? A mark of being truly alive is being willing to lay down your life for something greater than yourself, believing or caring strongly enough about something else to make that sacrifice.

I am not advocating throwing your life away. I agree with President Bartlett, "A true hero will give his life for his country, but he would much rather live for it." Do what you can, live for what you believe is right, chose those things for which you will fight to the death, and when the world truly demands it, follow through.

No comments: